Category: Fort Nelson

Leaked map suggests B.C. has approved less than half of proposed old-growth deferrals – Prince George Citizen

A report from the B.C. branch of the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives says a leaked map suggests the province has approved a pause for logging in less than half of the old-growth forests identified as being at risk of permanent biodiversity loss.
Ben Parfitt, a resource policy analyst with the centre, says a comparison of the Forests Ministry map against 2.6 million hectares of old-growth initially proposed for deferral in 2021 found 55 per cent of the areas with large and very large trees had been removed.
At the same time, Parfitt says it shows the ministry had added deferrals in forests with smaller trees that offer little or no commercial value to the logging industry.
A statement from Forests Minister Bruce Ralston says “the data in question confirms what (officials) have been saying all along: that 2.42 million hectares of old growth forests are deferred or newly protected since November 2021.”
That includes 1.23 million hectares of “priority at-risk” old-growth identified by a provincially appointed panel of ecologists and forestry experts, he says.
The B.C. government launched the deferral plan in November 2021, saying the temporary pauses on logging required the approval of First Nations in order to go ahead, and Ralston says some have supported the plan, while others haven’t.
“We’ve been clear that while some First Nations support (deferrals proposed by the panel), others have said that based on their expertise, alternative old growth land … should be deferred instead,” the statement says. “Some First Nations don’t support proposed deferrals and prefer to continue forestry activity in their territory.”
The deferrals are “one step” B.C. is taking to conserve old-growth, Ralston adds.
“We will keep working alongside First Nations, communities, advocates and the sector to conserve more ancient forests for our children and grandchildren.”
Parfitt says he was sent a copy of the password-protected map file, which was located in a folder titled “Supported OG Harvest Deferral” on a provincial web page.
The folder was visible on Wednesday, but the Forests Ministry web page now displays an error message.
The Canadian Press has seen a copy of the map Parfitt received.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 7, 2024.

Read More »

$2 Billion green-hydrogen plant set for PG still being discussed by province, Fortescue, BC Hydro – My PG Now

The communication lines remain open between the Province, BC Hydro and Fortescue regarding a green-hydrogen plant set to be built in Prince George.
A spokesperson from the Premier David Eby’s office confirmed the news to MyPGNow.com today (Wednesday).
Back in November, Eby confirmed during a town hall session in the Lower Mainland the provincial government entered negotiations on the two-billion-dollar project.
The major hurdle is that it will require 1,000 mega-watts of clean electricity to run.
– Advertisement –

“We have to negotiate with Fortescue, we had to negotiate with E-One Moli (Maple Ridge) and we have to negotiate with many of the companies who are thinking about locating here in BC because the Inflation Reduction Act in the United States gives them opportunities to go south of the border instead of locating to BC. It’s necessary for us to do this work.” Eby said in a previous interview with MyPGNow.com.
“The challenge for us is we want those jobs; we want this plant, and we are entering into discussions and negotiations with Fortescue and how do we seize this economic opportunity without making British Columbians pay higher rates on their hydro bills.”
In September, Australian multi-billionaire Dr. Andrew Forrest, who is Fortescue’s Non-Executive Chairman and primary shareholder gave a presentation on what the plant would bring to our city.
Once up and running, the plant will produce “approximately 140,000 tonnes per year of green hydrogen and approximately 800,000 tonnes per year of green ammonia,” making Project Coyote one of the largest hydrogen projects in the country.
Eby noted Prince George Mayor Simon Yu and the Lheidli T’enneh are on board with the project.
Fortescue signed a memorandum of understanding with the Lheidli T’enneh in 2021, they are not negotiating a fulsome Impact and Benefits Agreement.
In a brief summary, Forrest said during his stop in PG the plant will use electricity to “split water into oxygen and hydrogen,” then take the hydrogen and “sell it as a proper industrial product” or mix it with Nitrogen from the air to create ammonia.
The plant is estimated to bring over 100 permanent jobs to Prince George.

Read More »

Residents across B.C. to get highspeed internet by 2026 – My PG Now

Federal and provincial funding is on the way to help connect more than 7,500 households in 52 communities get access to high-speed internet. 
The announcement was made in Chemainus when representatives from service providers and all levels of government marked an $830 million investment.  
The federal government says in a media release that investing in high-speed internet now ensures 98 per cent of Canadians will have access to the web in 2026. They add 100 per cent should be connected by 2030 and mobile connectivity should also improve across the country. 
Minister of rural and economic development Gudie Hutchings says the world is constantly changing and it is up to all levels of government to ensure everyone has access to this essential service. 
– Advertisement –

“Connectivity is an essential tool to access education, healthcare and to grow a business,” she says. “It also improves safety and provides peace of mind.” 
B.C.’s minister of citizens’ services George Chow says the investment brings a lot more than access for education and healthcare, it also provides the ability to grow a strong economic sector. 
“The funding announced today means people in rural and remote areas of the province are able to fully participate in the digital economy and access online resources,” he says. “We are committed to providing every underserved community with high-speed internet access by 2027.” 
Of the 7,500 households getting access to high-speed internet approximately 1,320 of those are Indigenous.  
Recipients of the funding are the Nisga’a Lisims government, TELUS, Ktunaxa Nation (FlexiNET), CityWest Cable and Television corporation, and Kaslo infoNET Society. 
– Files from Justin Baumgardner, My Cowichan Valley Now

Read More »

Leaked map suggests B.C. has approved less than half of proposed old-growth deferrals – Prince George Citizen

A report from the B.C. branch of the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives says a leaked map suggests the province has approved a pause for logging in less than half of the old-growth forests identified as being at risk of permanent biodiversity loss.
Ben Parfitt, a resource policy analyst with the centre, says a comparison of the Forests Ministry map against 2.6 million hectares of old-growth initially proposed for deferral in 2021 found 55 per cent of the areas with large and very large trees had been removed.
At the same time, Parfitt says it shows the ministry had added deferrals in forests with smaller trees that offer little or no commercial value to the logging industry.
A statement from Forests Minister Bruce Ralston says “the data in question confirms what (officials) have been saying all along: that 2.42 million hectares of old growth forests are deferred or newly protected since November 2021.”
That includes 1.23 million hectares of “priority at-risk” old-growth identified by a provincially appointed panel of ecologists and forestry experts, he says.
The B.C. government launched the deferral plan in November 2021, saying the temporary pauses on logging required the approval of First Nations in order to go ahead, and Ralston says some have supported the plan, while others haven’t.
“We’ve been clear that while some First Nations support (deferrals proposed by the panel), others have said that based on their expertise, alternative old growth land … should be deferred instead,” the statement says. “Some First Nations don’t support proposed deferrals and prefer to continue forestry activity in their territory.”
The deferrals are “one step” B.C. is taking to conserve old-growth, Ralston adds.
“We will keep working alongside First Nations, communities, advocates and the sector to conserve more ancient forests for our children and grandchildren.”
Parfitt says he was sent a copy of the password-protected map file, which was located in a folder titled “Supported OG Harvest Deferral” on a provincial web page.
The folder was visible on Wednesday, but the Forests Ministry web page now displays an error message.
The Canadian Press has seen a copy of the map Parfitt received.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 7, 2024.

Read More »

$2 Billion green-hydrogen plant set for PG still being discussed by province, Fortescue, BC Hydro – My PG Now

The communication lines remain open between the Province, BC Hydro and Fortescue regarding a green-hydrogen plant set to be built in Prince George.
A spokesperson from the Premier David Eby’s office confirmed the news to MyPGNow.com today (Wednesday).
Back in November, Eby confirmed during a town hall session in the Lower Mainland the provincial government entered negotiations on the two-billion-dollar project.
The major hurdle is that it will require 1,000 mega-watts of clean electricity to run.
– Advertisement –

“We have to negotiate with Fortescue, we had to negotiate with E-One Moli (Maple Ridge) and we have to negotiate with many of the companies who are thinking about locating here in BC because the Inflation Reduction Act in the United States gives them opportunities to go south of the border instead of locating to BC. It’s necessary for us to do this work.” Eby said in a previous interview with MyPGNow.com.
“The challenge for us is we want those jobs; we want this plant, and we are entering into discussions and negotiations with Fortescue and how do we seize this economic opportunity without making British Columbians pay higher rates on their hydro bills.”
In September, Australian multi-billionaire Dr. Andrew Forrest, who is Fortescue’s Non-Executive Chairman and primary shareholder gave a presentation on what the plant would bring to our city.
Once up and running, the plant will produce “approximately 140,000 tonnes per year of green hydrogen and approximately 800,000 tonnes per year of green ammonia,” making Project Coyote one of the largest hydrogen projects in the country.
Eby noted Prince George Mayor Simon Yu and the Lheidli T’enneh are on board with the project.
Fortescue signed a memorandum of understanding with the Lheidli T’enneh in 2021, they are not negotiating a fulsome Impact and Benefits Agreement.
In a brief summary, Forrest said during his stop in PG the plant will use electricity to “split water into oxygen and hydrogen,” then take the hydrogen and “sell it as a proper industrial product” or mix it with Nitrogen from the air to create ammonia.
The plant is estimated to bring over 100 permanent jobs to Prince George.

Read More »

Residents across B.C. to get highspeed internet by 2026 – My PG Now

Federal and provincial funding is on the way to help connect more than 7,500 households in 52 communities get access to high-speed internet. 
The announcement was made in Chemainus when representatives from service providers and all levels of government marked an $830 million investment.  
The federal government says in a media release that investing in high-speed internet now ensures 98 per cent of Canadians will have access to the web in 2026. They add 100 per cent should be connected by 2030 and mobile connectivity should also improve across the country. 
Minister of rural and economic development Gudie Hutchings says the world is constantly changing and it is up to all levels of government to ensure everyone has access to this essential service. 
– Advertisement –

“Connectivity is an essential tool to access education, healthcare and to grow a business,” she says. “It also improves safety and provides peace of mind.” 
B.C.’s minister of citizens’ services George Chow says the investment brings a lot more than access for education and healthcare, it also provides the ability to grow a strong economic sector. 
“The funding announced today means people in rural and remote areas of the province are able to fully participate in the digital economy and access online resources,” he says. “We are committed to providing every underserved community with high-speed internet access by 2027.” 
Of the 7,500 households getting access to high-speed internet approximately 1,320 of those are Indigenous.  
Recipients of the funding are the Nisga’a Lisims government, TELUS, Ktunaxa Nation (FlexiNET), CityWest Cable and Television corporation, and Kaslo infoNET Society. 
– Files from Justin Baumgardner, My Cowichan Valley Now

Read More »